Sunday, April 11, 2010

the first weekend


Well, the first weekend was an exercise in sleep depravation. Sam is fine, like a clock, every 4 hrs he needs the boob. Emma, as it turns out, didn't want to sleep through a night. Since Thursday, Tara and I seemed to be up at the same times with each kid. The sun coming through the morning window has been harder to take as the days move on. Emma seems to be back on track now and life should run a little smoother. I keep getting told that I now have a millionaires family... is that because you need to be a millionaire to reclothe the 2nd kid? I look around our house and everything is frilly and pink. As uncle Dug always says, frilly and pink is fine in your own home, but not cool when you walk into the fire hall. The closest thing that I can find to an explanation is this: "rich man's family" or "choix du roi" One son--to inherit and rule the estate...no brothers are needed to work the fields or run the business (because you're rich) so best deal is not to have second and third sons who will not receive a birthright and will skulk around, envious, making trouble One daughter--to marry a powerful ally's son and spread your power and influence

No pressure on the kids there.
Sam seems to have settled in well. He seems equally grumbly here as he did at the hospital. He has the amazing ability to sleep at any point, in any position. His patented move is to expend all of his energy showing you how much he hates getting his bum changed that can't stay awake for the feeding. Sam and I finally got to spend some time together. I find myself asking Tara questions about his behaviour since I am not familiar with him at all. With Emma, Tara and I shared time at the hospital looking in on her, and when the time came we shared feeding responsibilities. Emma at first seemed rather indifferent, now however, she wants to check on Sam, make sure he has a blanket and a hat on. We were visited by all of Emma's favourite people: uncle Jeff, Grandma, auntie Erin and Jen and of
course Mo Jo. Mary, with all of her free time made a little
something for Emma. She now spends almost every waking minute with her hat and purse. She is in great spirits these days, back to being a wonderful, funny, curious girl who loves to sing. On Saturday uncle Jeff and I took Emma truck shopping. She was over the moon to be jumping in and out of the backs of trucks with Jeff. While I took hours in the sales office, the two of them ran all over the parking lot. Everyone needs a little more uncle Jeff in their life.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... I'm behind on the posts!! I'm so excited to hear that Sam is home. And to think that I was going to see if I could bring you some lunch to the house/hospital this weekend. OK... I'd still like to bring you some lunch sometime but now I can just bring it to 1 spot. Is everyone settling in okay? I'll plan to call in the next couple days... well... at least before Christmas rolls around again! :)

    ReplyDelete